I pull up to the speaker box at Sonic and ask the bunny if she wants tots.
She replies, "No."
I order our drinks and when the dude asks if we want fries or tots, I say, "No, thank you."
I pull forward.
The bunny screams, "Yes, I do want tater tots!"
me: You said you didn't want tots.
the bunny: I don't want tots. I want TATER tots."
me:
the bunny: (whiney voice) Mommy, can I have tater tots?
me: Okay.
We pull up to the window. I get our drinks and hand the bunny's slush back to her. (Note the distraction.) I have a brief conversation with the gal at the window while she's running my cc. We talk about nothing in particular. She hands me my receipt and I pull away.
me to the bunny: The lady said the tater tot machine was broken today. Maybe we'll get tater tots next time.
the bunny: The machine is broken? We can get some next time? Okay.
Crisis averted.
Lesson learned: Heck yes it's okay to fib if it deflects a full-blown, tot-denied, preschooler tantrum! And it goes on record that I said, "yes."
Brilliant, no?
I parent by tantrum avoidance and I'm not afraid to admit it!
No comments:
Post a Comment