All the Harveys are present and accounted for right now. The kidlets are watching their bedtime movie and the house is winding down. I'm thankful for the calm every evening. Especially right now. Because earlier today I lost Noah.
The short story is, I took my eye off him for 20 seconds and he was gone.
The long, drawn out story:
The kids were playing in the backyard. I was in and out of the house - watching and playing with them and getting dinner ready. I had a roast and potatoes in the oven and the beginnings of gravy on the stove.
I was at the stove when the girl came in. I looked out to see the boy still on the swing. I opened the fridge to grab a bag of mushrooms and looked out to see no boy on the swing. Mushrooms in hand, I went to the window to peek around the corner to see if he was drawing with chalk again. No boy.
I went outside and did a quick sweep of the yard. Nobody. I quickly walked to the shop toilet to see if he went there. Nope. I ran back inside to turn off the oven and stove and ask the girl if Noah was inside. He wasn't.
I went back outside to do a second sweep of the shop and yard. I ran down the hill then back up the hill. No boy.
Ran to the front yard. No boy.
Saw my neighbor and asked if she had seen Noah. No. And neither had her kids. So now she, her three kids, another friend, and my daughter are outside calling for Noah and looking around the yards.
I ran back inside to do a sweep of the house to find...
...no boy.
Back outside, I look at my neighbor and she shakes her head no. So I turn to go back in to grab a phone when I hear the neighbor say, "We found him!"
At this point, I think I started breathing again.
I ran toward the driveway and see Mr. S driving his truck realllly slowly down the street. And alongside him is my boy! He decided to take a walk down the street. In the street. Evidently he was on his way back when Mr. S was coming home. Noah wouldn't get into the truck but he trotted happily home.
And when he turned into the driveway where I was waiting, he gave me his biggest, sweetest smile and said, "Mommy."
I didn't want to startle him so I waited for him to come to me but when he got close enough I scooped him up. He said, "house."
Yes, Noah, stay at the house!
He was gone for less than 10 minutes. But it was the longest hour of my life!
My neighbors are awesome! And wonderful! And I'm so thankful they're part of our village.
I hope never to tell another story like this again. The end.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow Linda I am so happy that this story has a happy ending. Very scary.
ReplyDelete((((hugs))))
ReplyDeleteNot really Anonymous - just can't work the page... (Dianne)
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad everyone is ok and survived the incident. You do have a wonderful village in your neighborhood!
Oh, Linda, I'm so glad everything is okay! Hooray for good neighbors!
ReplyDelete